No stimulus check? You’re not alone.
About 80 million stimulus checks have been directly deposited into the bank accounts of Americans who filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return. Those who receive Social Security benefits will also receive a payment, delivered in the same way they receive their Social Security benefits.
If you checked your account and did not find a deposit, check the status at the IRS “Get my payment” website. Haven’t gotten your payment yet? Here are some possible reasons why:
1) You used a tax preparer like TurboTax or H&R block
Did you use a tax preparation service like H&R Block, TurboTax or Jackson Hewitt? Then the IRS might not have your bank account information. The IRS has what is considered temporary bank account information for tax filers who use those services. Tax preparation companies first get the refund, then disperse the money to the filer after deducting their fees. The Treasury Department is aware of the issue and working to fix it.
2) You received the wrong amount or no money for dependent children
Others received their payment, but it was in the wrong amount or did not have any money for dependent children. People get an additional $500 for every dependent child under 17. Recipients who receive Social Security retirement, survivors or disability benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits and also have children under 17 have to use the IRS’ non-filer tool to claim their $500 payment. Individuals will need a valid Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number for each of their dependents.
Those who have filed and received the wrong amount or no payment will have the chance to tell the IRS. The agency will send a letter to recipients within 15 days of the deposit. The letter has payment details and instructions on how to report issues.
3) Your payment status is not available
Many Americans reported that they tried using the IRS website to check their payment status and were unable to find out when they would get their money. Instead they got a message that read, “Payment Status Not Available.”
The IRS said there are several reasons for this:
You are not eligible for a payment.
- You have not filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return.
- You filed a 2019 return but it hasn’t been fully processed.
- There’s a problem verifying your identity.
- You recently filed your return or provided information through the non-filers tool and the information is still being processed.
- You are a Social Security, disability or Railroad Retirement beneficiary, the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment. Your payment information is not available on the website yet.
4) You experienced IRS website glitches like page lockouts or can’t check your payment status
People trying to use the Get My Payment tool are reporting myriad glitches like getting locked out of the website or not being able to check their status. The agency said the tool was built with a lockout feature to prevent fraud. If this happens, you will have to wait a day to try checking the status again.
Some of the lockouts are from filers who confirm they are eligible for the payment. However, the IRS does not have direct deposit information for them because they opted for their refund to be applied to the next year’s payment. Some people have also reported being unable to check their payment status because they did not pay or receive money from the IRS as part of their refunds.
Thanks to the Washington Post for this story.