With hand sanitizer about as readily available as the Holy Grail, we’d like to share a simple recipe to make your own hand sanitizer with three simple ingredients. Hopefully, you have these three ingredients on hand (no pun intended) as the ingredients themselves are getting hard to come by.
Hand sanitizer recipe
What you’ll need:
- 16 oz. of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (70 to 99 percent – anything less is not going to be effective) Make sure the alcohol used for the hand sanitizer is not diluted.
- 6 to 8 oz. (depending on how gel like you want this to be) of aloe vera gel (to help keep your hands smooth and to counteract the harshness of alcohol). Try to find pure aloe vera gel if you can.
- 5-10 drops of essential oil, such as lavender oil, or tea tree oil which has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl, ideally one with a pouring spout like a glass measuring container.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it “hand sanitizer.”